Auspicious Symbols Relief Painted Wall Hanging (Individual)
The Eight Auspicious Symbols are found in all forms of Tibetan art, painted on walls, appliqu̩éd on brocade, carved on wood and sculpted in clay. They represent the essential elements of happiness, health, prosperity and joy and their causes - merit and wisdom.
These individual pieces each representing one of the auspicious symbols are painted with a special technique of relief, called Kyumbur which makes the design seem to pop off their flat surfaces and come to life.
1. Umbrella- royalty and spiritual power.
2. Golden Fish - good fortune, fertility and salvation
3. Treasure vase - spiritual and material abundance
4. Lotus - mental and spiritual purity
5. Conch - the fame of Buddha's teaching
6. Endless knot - infinite wisdom of the Buddha.
7. Victory banner - victory of the Buddha's teaching and wisdom over ignorance
8. Wheel - the teaching of the Buddha.
Each piece measures 9.5x9.5inches (24x24cm)
Learn more about Norbulingka's wood painting here.